Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bubba Gump Shrimp

April 6, 2014

Favorite thing of this week:

Sister Tien and I have an investigator named Phuc. He's a pretty chill kid just going school and working at the Pizza Hut. He was scheduled to be baptized on the 27 of March, but Sister Tien and I were nervous that when we taught the word of wisdom, the baptismal date would have to be pushed back to due to problems with drinking alcohol. We taught the lesson this week and Phuc told us he would only have a problem with coffee. He committed to try and quit...but he would need at least one month - longer than his scheduled baptisimal date. After we brought this up about his baptismal date he got quiet for a second and I was really nervous that he was going to say he didn't want to be baptized. 

".....Okay", he said, "I will stop drinking coffee in three weeks." Fabuloso! (13 Going on 30 reference)

Then, our member help mentioned that if he were to be baptized on the 27th I may not be there because transfers are on the 25th.

"Okay", he said, "I will be baptized one week earlier - the 20th of April."

"That only gives you 20 days to stop drinking coffee", I replied.

"Okay"

"You will also be interviewed at least the day before, so you need to stop drinking before then."

"Okay, I will quit within 19 days."

"Let's try to quit within 18 days just to be sure."

"Okay. I will stop within 18 days."


And that's how it's done I guess. He has this huge list of all the logistics of when we will meet with him, how he is going to quit, all the drinks he has to go buy so he won't be tempted to drink coffee, etc. etc.
About ten minutes were spent figuring out how he is going to have time to do all of this. At the end we just sat for a moment in silence and Phuc looks up from his list and just shouts "Okay!!" and smiled. He's totally ready and completely willing! #Gold

Least favorite thing this week:
It's beginning to rain. Meaning lots of rain...nonstop like in Forrest Gump...rain that floods to your waist...I'm not ready for this.

Here's some selfies...


No comments:

Post a Comment