Friday, July 25, 2014

Once a Scout, Always a Scout

June 29, 2014

First things first: President Moon isn't sending me to Russia. Don't worry I'm not too upset. I really just wanted to go so I could play in the snow. 

I've been really trunky for snow lately. Is that a thing? What I'm trying to say is that I really, really miss snow. One of our members is leaving Vietnam next week to marry a man in Holland. She's like the cutest person in the whole world and met him while going to school in Holland. He actually served in the Skyline ward about ten years ago. Anyway, the Relief Society had a mini bridal shower for her yesterday after church and she was telling all these sappy love stories about how they met and when he proposed and stuff. And while all the other women were ooo'ing and awww'ing at her story, all I could think about was the snow in Holland and picturing myself wearing a coat and boots.

I know it's blurry but she's the cutest and she's leaving for Holland!
I love the snow.

Posh

What else happened this week?
While out contacting I saw a store that sells Vietnamese boy scout stuff! They have scouts in Vietnam! Cool, right? I ran inside and talked to the guy all about scouting and he told me about how the scouts meet at this park right by our church every Sunday morning and then we were instantly friends. He is possibly my favorite person in Vietnam...BECAUSE HE'S A BOY SCOUT.
The Boy Scout guy!
I love scouts. And if you don't like the scouts I don't like you. Not only that, you can't just like the scouts, you have to participate in the scouts for me to like you. Every single thing about boy scouts is good because this is what you do: you take some young blood boys and make them learn how to do things and stop being baby girls. Then you go in the forest and learn to do things that no book, video game or football camp would ever teach you. And then you leave the forest being a lot cooler, BUT only if you have a desire to be cooler and learn things. 

I had this conversation recently with an elder:
Elder: "I know guys that have their Eagle Scout that can't survive one hour in the forrest."
Me: "I know people that have been members for 20 years that can't even get out of bed to go to church for an hour."

My point being, getting your Eagle Scout doesn't mean anything if your mom forced you to do it so you could get a drivers license. Going to church doesn't mean much if you're only doing it as habit. And Boy Scouts, just like the gospel, requires sincere dedication if you're going to get anything out of it.

That's what I've got to say this week.
Stay tuned for next week when I rage about people that use their time at church as a social hour.

With love,
Sister Egelund
Kicking it old school with my Thao Dien friends!
Anh Nam's birthday party!
Pretty sunsets in Saigon!

No comments:

Post a Comment